The renowned and highly experienced editors of this book bring together the leading voices in contemporary English education under the banner of the International Federation for the Teaching of English (IFTE). The collected chapters here represent the very best of international writing on the teaching of English in the past decade.
The key issues and debates surrounding English teaching across the globe are discussed and analysed accessibly, and incorporate wide-ranging topics including:
• The impact of high stakes testing on teaching and learning;
• Addressing the needs of minority groups;
• The digitization of literature and new conceptions of text;
• Rewriting the canon;
• Dealing with curriculum change;
• "Best practices" in the teaching of English;
• The tension between ‘literacy’ and ‘English’;
• English and bilingual education;
• The impact of digital technologies on teaching and learning;
• Conceptions of English as a subject [secondary and tertiary];
• Bringing the critical into the English/Literacy classroom;
• The future of subject English;
• Empowering voices on the margins;
• Pre-service teacher education;
• The social networking English classroom.
This text looks at the changing face of subject English from the differing perspectives of policy makers, teacher educators, teachers and their students. It tackles some of the hard questions posed by technological advances in a global society, challenges conventional approaches to teaching and points to the emerging possibilities for a traditional school subject such as English in the face of rapid change and increasing societal expectations. Despite all of the converging political and technological threats, the authors of this engaging and insightful text portray an immense confidence in the ultimate worth of teaching and learning subject English.
- Free ePub book - Download [epub, pdf, kindle]
- International Perspectives on Teaching English in a Globalised World (National Association for the Teaching of English ebook
- 2033 Books International Perspectives on Teaching English in a Globalised World (National Association for the Teaching of English ePub download